Monday, April 19, 2010

OBC... WHO ARE THEY?

I am a retired Brigadier with a post graduate degree in Physics, son of a District magistrate, with brothers...all with post graduate degrees, a sister married to an IPS Officer who retired as DG, siblings all doing well and at top levels in chosen fields, my own children no less. A second generation out of a village, proud of my heritage and background... when one day suddenly I became, to my horror, an OBC, that too with retrospective effect...even my father and grandfather and all down the chain.

The real OBC, as I look back was the high-cast `Brahmin Cook`:the undisputed ruler of the kitchen, proud of his sacred thread & loin-cloth and happy with a salary of a couple of rupees. That was at Gorakhpur during 1937-38,

'Til now I was proud of my status and my background but now I am extremely chary and making all efforts to hide my OBC Status.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At April 20, 2010 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Makes a sense to read. OBC should be based on economic condition & not caste based.

 
At April 22, 2010 at 8:07 AM , Blogger all the bluff-call the bluff said...

The abbreviations SC,ST and OBC actually stink and must be the coinages of some historical / cultural boorishness. If the aim is to search a real stinking term only the abbreviation UBC standing for UNDERDEVELOPED and BACKWARD CONDITIONS serves the purpose well and it is flaunted universally also by many natios without ever feeling extremely chary.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home